Saturday, January 16, 2010

update

I'm LOVING college!

This is kind of new for me! There have been moments of excitement, but not like this. Now i'm really loving it!
I'm taking French 102 and it's real fun because nearly the entire class period is in French.
I'm also taking English 197 and 202. These classes are linked. So, what that means, is that in 202 the professor lectures on how to approach literature and in 197 a different teacher gives us writing exercises and helps us with papers regarding the reading homework for 202. This basically means I have less homework and less "in class" time. Which is fine with me! So far, we've read the "Lucy Poems" and "Tintern Abbey" by Wordsworth, an article by T.S. Eliot, and a selection of Shakespeare's Sonnets. We're going to be reading a lot more poetry and articles but we also are reading Things Fall Apart by Achebe, Heart of Darkness by Conrad, and, one of my favorites, Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare. My teachers are great too. My English professor said the other day, "Literature is the art of words arraigned a certain way." Hehe! So excited!
I've been able to engage so much more this quarter and step more fully into my intended major(s).

But it hasn't been easy. I've also really been wrestling with a lot of the philosophy that is being blasted our direction. We have had several "New Historicists" vs. "New Critics" debates--and i've had to just stand back and say, "I don't agree with either!"
I have noticed how easy it is for my mind to be over-stimulated by all this amazing information i'm hearing and discovering. But it is so empty!
It's amazing and all to learn and to understand. But, I'm learning how much I don't want that to be my goal or my focus.

It truly is all about His glory. I'm beginning to see how dissatisfying everything else is--especially intellectualism. I don't want book-knowledge... I want His wisdom.
I know this probably sounds pathetically religious; but i'm seeing how He is my treasure. He excites and satisfies me more!

Kim Walker has a new song out called "I Need You More" and it has been the soundtrack to my life this last week. The words are SO simple! And yet, they wreck me!

I need you more

More than yesterday

I need you more

More than words can say

I need you more

Than ever before

I need you Lord

I need you Lord

More than the air I breathe

More than the song I sing

More than the next heart beat

More than anything!

And Lord as time goes by

I’ll be by your side

Cuz I never want to go back

To my old life!

I need you more

More than yesterday

I need you more

More than words can say

I need you more

Than ever before

I need you Lord

I need you Lord

We give you the Highest Praise!!!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, Samara! I don't sense religiosity. I sense wisdom and passion for Him.

    ReplyDelete