Sunday, July 17, 2011

weekend adventures

Well, I hope you have all had an exciting weekend--I definitely have =)

My adventure-packed weekend started on thursday when our whole group went on an excursion, which included a trip to Broughton Castle (filming location for Shakespeare in Love among other movies).
The gardens were absolutely gorgeous!

entrance to the secret garden...
surrounded by beauty: the gardens and Kristina =)
Picnic in the sun across the moat from a flock of sheep.
Kristina and I listened to Pride and Prejudice on my ipod while reading our Jane Austen homework... quite a sublime moment.
This tree reminds me of Jane Eyre
Friday afternoon, I settled in the sunny quad at Magdalen for a bit of afternoon study.
That night, I attended an absolutely marvelous production of A Midsummer Night's Dream by the Oxford Shakespeare Guild. There interpretation was as hilarious as it was creative. An absolutely wonderful night with friends.

Saturday, my friend, Elizabeth, and I did a day trip to London. We took a literature inspired approach to the day and had a marvelous time.
Here is part of Kensington Gardens, the park from which J. M. Barrie got his original inspiration for Peter Pan.
These are two of the "Italian Fountains":

221 B Baker Street
happy girl =)

Probably my favorite literary stop of the day, this is John Keats house in Hampstead. This is the house he shared with Fanny Brawne and it is also where he composed many of his poems including a personal favorite, Ode to a Nightingale.

Today I went to church at OCC and then went out with some new friends from there. They are all so fun to be around.

How was your weekend?
Also, do you know of anything else in London that I should really try to see before I leave? I'd love to hear your ideas!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, amazing. This is too exciting for words, Samara! I especially love [and am a wee bit jealous over ;)] the visiting of 221 B Baker St, JM Barrie [my hero]'s "inspiration" park and then of course Keats! Can life get better? I've settled it. I'm going. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keat's house and Sherlock's house in one day! Off the charts! This is so perfect for you and I'm so glad you are living this adventure!!

    ReplyDelete