Wednesday, October 7, 2009

more Bright Star

This is perhaps the best explanation of poetry I have ever heard. It comes from a scene in the movie Bright Star (and can be found on the soundtrack, "Negative Capability) where John Keats (Ben Whishaw) is trying to teach Fanny (Abbie Cornish) a bit about poetry when Fanny says...

"I still don’t know how to work out a poem…"
"A poem needs understanding through the senses… The point of diving in a lake is not immediately to swim to the shore, but to be in the lake—to… luxuriate in the sensation of water. You do not “work” the lake out. It is an experience beyond thought. Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery..."


ahhh...... yes!

2 comments:

  1. Miss Samara, you need to study the Romantic poets... this is the only moment in the movie (well, one of few maybe) that really reflects their ideas. Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and trust me, you should) is to get into a class with Ramonda Modiano...especially if you can get her on the Romantic poets. She made me fall in love with Keats. She's brilliant, and caring, and will mark your college years like a 'bright star' in the dark skies... (like my little attempt at play? hehee)

    As always, I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kati!

    Thank you so much! I'm afraid I'll have to postpone that mission... but i think I would like it so very much! haha... you're so cute! i love being blogging buddies with you!

    ReplyDelete