Tuesday, May 1, 2012

mid-term musings

In between celebrating birthdays (there are 5 birthdays in my family in just 11 days--whew!), I'm supposed to be studying for mid-terms and just wanted to process some of my thoughts.


"What is poetry? What is its aim? On the distinction between the Good and the Beautiful; on the Beauty of Evil; that rhythm and rhyme answer the immortal need in man for monotony, symmetry, and surprise; on adapting style to subject; on the vanity and danger of inspiration, etc..." - Charles Baudelaire




"The poet is occupied with frontiers of consciousness beyond which words fail, though meaning still exists." - T.S. Eliot




"A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.


I say it just
Begins to live
That day."
- Emily Dickenson




"You can gorge yourself on Austen and not get fat. She’s both a comic and a romantic, a nearly impossible combination." - Margaret Kaufman

1 comment:

  1. Although I rejoice in my choice of major, I do wish I could read great books to put interesting quotes on my blog... I love all these of yours! <3

    ReplyDelete