Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lunch date

Seriously... this book is wrecking me!



I have been afraid to share too much, but I had to share this one quote.
Background:  Ender Wiggin is one of the smartest boys on the planet.  He's also one of the most sensitive.  By age 6 he's been pegged by world leaders as their only hope of victory or survival against an impending alien attack.  Now at age 10, he's exceeded all expectations in military school. 
But he hates himself.

I've been thinking about myself... Trying to understand why I hate myself so badly... It took me a long time realize that I did, but believe me, I did.  Do.  And it came down to this: In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.  I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves.  And then in that very moment when I love them... [I] beat them... I destroy them.



The power, the clarity in that statement - all I could do was cover my face and sob silently.

2 comments:

  1. This book is written down the side of a page of an old journal. A couple summers ago some guy saw me writing at Blue Bottle in San Fran and struck up a conversation about literature and art - he told me I must read this book. He wasn't the last. And I've still yet to read it, thanks for the reminder. :)

    **I still remember I was sitting reading Art of Zen that day. :) Awww, the joy of a monumental book in a new sunny spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina - yes, you must read this book. And it won't take you very long ;)

    Thanks for sharing the delightful memory. Love those literary "moments of being."

    ReplyDelete