Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I just finished The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. One of my professors had told me years ago that Age of Innocence was her absolute favorite novel and urged me to read it. I highly doubtful that I would enjoy it. Among the strikes it had against it... it was American Lit. I rarely read American novels--and never an American novel set in the 1880's. But I was delightfully surprised. As I was reading it, I thought the novel was good, but the last chapter was incredible! Overall, a very impacting book.
Another one of my professors quoted Nietzsche as having said, "Master's of the first rate know how to end." And, boy, did Wharton.

Well, I feel successful. I've finished 3 books in 3 days. Oh the joys. Tomorrow I'm hitting up the library to see if my holds have come in =)

2 comments:

  1. Edith Wharton seems like a good place to begin with American lit - she's an English-ish-American, I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished "House of Mirth" and had a similar reaction. I'm not a huge American Lit. fan, but I definitely enjoyed her style and character development. Yet another thing we have to discuss when we meet for tea in a few weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete