Saturday, October 10, 2015

Growing out a pixie....

Once upon a time... I was a pixie.
And I loooved being a pixie! 



And yet, for various reasons, I decided to grow out my pixie.

9.20.14

I didn't decide to grow out the pixie until a few months later but here's an example of it near its shortest

12.2

This is about when I decided to let it grow out. 

1.27

2.28

You know... just a "Don't Stop Believing" lip-sync sesh in the car.

3.30

4.22

6.12

7.12

9.1


9.24

10.9

As of yesterday, I've unlocked the "bob with bangs" level and from here I should have an easier time - fewer haircuts interpolated by bang trims. 

The grow-out process hasn't always been easy, but it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't go back to a pixie.  Here are a few tips and tricks I learned along the way:

* A hairstylist you trust is a requirement!  I mean, it should probably be a requirement before getting a pixie.  But you need someone who really knows your long term vision (is it weird that I always have a 1-2 year hair plan?)

* Be prepared to visit said hairstylist often to take care of trouble spots #FightTheMullet

* I grew out one side at a time and it kept me sane!  I probably could have grown it out faster, but I refused to look like a 2008 Beiber!  My pixie had always been asymmetric, so I kept trimming the left side while the right grew out till I could really style it.  That way I could draw attention away from the left as it grew out.

* Color is your friend! Before I started growing out the left side, I had ombré highlights added and they have helped even more than I anticipated!

* A women's multivitamin has improved my overall hair health.  I also added lavender essential oil to my shampoo to help it grow a bit faster. 

* Get experimental with tools and products.  It seemed like I had to slightly adjust my hair routine every 4-5 weeks or so.  And at one point I was blow drying with 3 different round brushes!  My favorite products?  This texturizing spray and a good dry shampoo (preferably Batiste's).  

* To see some more of my "goal hairstyles" along the way, visit my Hair board on Pinterest :) 

* * * * * * *

Dear pixie,
You were good to me.  You helped me be more me.
Thanks you so much for that.
One day, I'll find you again.
Love,
Samara

No comments:

Post a Comment