Monday, March 29, 2010

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery..." - Jane Austen

Last night (after three grueling flights), I arrived home in Seattle! Ross and Melissa picked me up from the airport, bless them, and then took Josiah and I out for a spontaneous dinner at Kidd Valley. For anyone who knows me, my life always needs more spontaneity!

The wedding in North Dakota was absolutely beautiful! I cried the entire time - no joke. The trip overall was fun, most especially, spending time with classmates I rarely see. However, I did learn a few things on the trip:
1. North Dakota does not believe in recycling or prohibiting people from smoking indoors
2. Montana really does go on forever
3. Some people will do anything to get the bride's bouquet--including rip it out of my hands (lol)
4. I have the best brother-in-law in the world
5. Not even medicine will cure my motion sickness

After trying to prepare myself for the first day of a new quarter, the tryptophan kicked in and I crashed. And then, like a bad omen, I woke up late! My first class was at 8:30 and I didn't wake up till 7:45. Thank goodness my parents are letting me use their car this week while they are in Arizona, otherwise, I would have missed the first class entirely. I was just kicking myself that, after spending money on a plan ticket in order to be in class, I oversleep.

But, Jesus is sovereign. My classes went well overall. My french instructor is rather strict, but I suppose that's a good thing for a language class. The only other class I had was Greek and Roman Public and Private life. It's so interesting! I love love love classical studies, especially regarding the Greeks. While doing the reading for class tomorrow, I nearly started crying: I want a minor in Classical Studies sooooo bad. But alas, I've plum run out of credits. I'm barely going to be able to take all the classes I need for my two majors. I just wish I could do it all! To add insult to injury, a girl I met in french class today is actually getting two majors and a minor... I'm so jealous. But i'm sure it will be alright.

But today, Jesus made my heart smile. Some of you may know that I have been on a spending freeze since January. The Lord told me I could not spend any money on clothes or make-up until I had all my money for Spring tuition. This has been super hard and I've nearly caved three or four times. But this entire time I've had a little store credit for my fave consignment store, Crossroads. But my balance was only $4.74. But today, I went in there to see if I could find something fun and useful for such a small amount. After not finding much in their accessory department, I browsed the "half-off" rack. I found this adorable, pull-over vest that is just so perfect. The total rang up at 4.65! The rest of the day I was like, "Jesus loves me! Jesus loves me!" The day was made beautiful--despite the nasty rain and wind!

Really quick, check out Psalm 102 in the message. I can't get away from this. The title is: "A prayer of on whose life is falling to pieces, and who lets God know just how bad it is." Hah! I've def had days where I could write something with that title. But the psalmist writes, "Yet you, God are sovereign still, always and ever sovereign." Woah! I just love this verse. I don't think it really works this way, but I've kind of felt that God's sovereignty is my special revelation. I get it. I have to remind myself of it. But it's one of those things that I "know in my knower." After walking through two rounds of cancer afflicting those I love and countless other tests of my faith--I can clearly see that "God works all things together for good." I have been in this phase where I can almost hear God saying, "I told you so." I just keep realizing, "Oh, duh! You do know what's best for me." I'm realizing more and more and more that what I would have chosen for myself would have been detrimental. He so knows best! When I read Madame Guyon's chapter on "Abandoment," my heart jumped up and down, testifying that, "YES! This is so true!" She writes, "You must accept everything... as having come from your Lord." Amen to that! This Psalm just echoes that. God is good all the time. Whatever is happening right now, rest assured in this: He knows what he is doing!

2 comments: