Thursday, April 22, 2010

"He knew not that he had a pre-engaged heart to attack." - Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

To provide some context, this line is about a man who is proposing to a woman who is already in love with another character, not that they were actually engaged--just that she could not be deterred. He is doing his utmost to persuade her but, unfortunately for him, her affections were sealed.
This line makes me fall in love with Jane Austen all over again. I am so in love with her prose that I have begun calling her simply "Jane."
"I'm going to spend some time with Jane..."
"Oh Jane is brilliant!"
Sacrilegious, I know! But, I adore her so much and this little line reminds me why!

But after re-reading this line half a dozen times today, I thought, "I want that to be said about my heart!"
When someone calls, I'm not planning on playing hard-to-get, but I do want to have a "pre-engaged heart."
Pastor Norm once said that you can't start courting until you're engaged.
I'm reminded of the beautiful yet nearly cliche line:
A girl's heart should be so lost in God that a man has to pursue Him to find her.
Amen amen!

I am so deeply in love with Him, but I want more. I want to get lost in the depths of His heart!
I want it to be said of my man, "He knew not that he had a pre-engaged heart to attack." :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so on the same page with you. I've had "A girl's heart should be so lost in God that a man has to pursue Him to find her..." going through my head for about a month now. haha. i think i saw it on some FB flair once. it's in my journal everywhere...
    Keep fighting to lose yourself in His Presence. Don't let ANYTHING pull you away from His beautiful face <3. He delights in you, Samara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that samara!! i must read jane!!!

    ReplyDelete