Sunday, March 4, 2012

So, last night I saw Macbeth! (again =)
It was mind-blowing!!!
It was kind of hard to have high expectations after seeing the play done by the freaking Royal Shakespeare Company. Fortunately UW's Undergraduate Theatre Society presented it with a completely different approach--I'm actually not sure how they could have been any different.

RSC: July 2011

[The Macbeths: Jonathan Slinger and AislĂ­n Mcguckin]

[The pic of the stage I snuck before it started hehe =]

If you want, you can watch a clip of this production here.

UTS: March 2012

[The Macbeths: Jay Myers and Jocelyn Mahers... the did such an incredible job!]

[Macbeth in a pool of blood]

I just finished writing an analysis on how these two performances approached the creation of terror. Cool stuff.
After reading the play, seeing it twice, and writing on it, my emotional investment and, therefore, estimation of it has increased considerably. Shakespeare did some amazing things in this play and I feel like I've only scratched the surface with it.

I'll leave you with this: a shot of the very young Ian McKellen and Judy Dench as the Macbeths for the RSC.
[Wouldn't it have been insane to see them perform live?? I can hardly imagine how good that would be!]

No comments:

Post a Comment