Friday, March 8, 2013

"A response from the author..."


I'll gladly admit yesterday's #refusetobeacog post was a bit ranty - I probably should have closed with a quote from Ecclesiastes or something.  I'll also admit that yesterday I was restless, frustrated, and emotional (which contributes to the state of mind most conducive to writing).

But thank you to those who have inspired and supported the challenging of the status quo. I've been reading responses to this post for a day now - both here, on facebook, via email and texts, and even a friend's response on her blog.  I've mulled over these and I've slept on it.

I see that it's not capitalism that I take issue with - well, not just capitalism.  I still see issues with capitalism and whole heartedly believe that there is a more Kingdom, more personable system of economics just waiting to be discovered.  "Creation yearns in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed..." - Romans 8.19.  And I'm yearning too.

But I see that I equally take issue with the mediocrity and materialism people settle for when they forget or ignore that they were made in the likeness of their Deity-Creator. The translation of that oft-quoted verse from Romans in the Message reads:
The created world itself can hardly wait for what's coming next. Everything in creation is being more or less held back. God reins it in until both creation and all the creatures are ready and can be released at the same moment into the glorious times ahead.  Meanwhile, the joyful anticipation deepens...
Annnd I'm back to the title of my blog - wait AND hope.  Don't just wait for things to change, allow the "joyful anticipation" to deepen while you challenge the status quo and ask tough questions.  But also, let the passion for change fuel the determination to do whatever you can - big or small - to change your piece of the world... starting with your mindset.  Yesterday, via Braden [which could now be via-via-via :) ], I read this quote from Graham Cook:
To say YES to Jesus we must also say no to something else. A YES is always accompanied by a no. To be a world class musician, athlete, or actor, it means you have to know what your distractions are going to be and have a plan to overcome them.

We have to affirm the need for personal discipline and develop a desire for it. We have to endure hardness, learn to persist when people around us want to give up, and cultivate perseverance as a way of life. Some people call it obsession because it suits their own purpose. It's PASSION - an intense enthusiasm for something, and it requires disciplined pursuit and a focus of intention that mediocre people never attain.
We don't have to settle.  We don't have to accept the status quo.  We don't have to embrace mediocrity.    But it depends on what we see.  What do you see?        
* * * * * * *   And to those who have encouraged my writing - thank you!  I have always placed myself on the reader side of the reader / writer dichotomy.  But when it comes to things I'm super frustrated by or super excited about, I must write or blow a fuse.  It's the discipline of writing I'm no good at.  But even that has been changing lately.  So, thank you for the encouragement and I can only hope you feel encouraged too.

2 comments: