* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Title: At the Back of the North Wind
Author: George MacDonald
Year I read it: 2008
One sentence summary: The fantastical tale of a boy named Diamond going on adventures with the North Wind and, eventually, to the land that lies at her back.
Three reasons to read it:
- MacDonald's fantasy is tantamount! Chesterton, Lewis, Tolkien - they wouldn't be who they are without it.
- This is a beautiful depiction both of God's sovereignty and of child-like faith.
- Immersing yourself in awe & mystery for a few hundred pages does wonders for the soul
One reason you maybe shouldn't:
- My brothers tease me mercilessly, saying this book is really creepy, partly because of their interpretation of the ending, partly because it's their job to tease me. (May I assure you, it's rather beautiful!)
I begin to think there are better things than being comfortable.
A poet is a man who is glad of something, and tries to make other people glad of it too.
Only he knew that to be left alone is not always to be forsaken.