Monday, August 29, 2011

I was looking through my book list for the fall tonight and I looked at some of the synopses online. Well, it looks like the novels for English Honors are way more depressing than the Greek Tragedies =/
I am really trying, though, to get the Lord's perspective on these books. They are the farthest thing from favorite. I find most contemporary, post-modern novels hopeless, depraved, and painful. I understand that one of art's purpose's is to point out the darkness and to critique society--but these usually go too far.
Despite all of my feelings or my gut reactions to these novels, the Lord really challenged me today. He told me to sift for truth and beauty, to wait to judge until I had finished. He told me to find the root issues that cause people to feel hopeless, bitter, etc. I think this will not be easy, but I am hoping that He reveals something to me that will change my perspective--at least make me appreciate the author's frustrations if I cannot agree with them. I'm a bit nervous, but I know this is in His plan, even if I wouldn't have put it in mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment