Monday, November 7, 2011





I took the plunge. This morning I registered and am taking 3 lit classes next quarter:

  • Shakespeare After 1603,
  • Rise of the English Novel, and
  • English Honors
Here's the book list =)

So, we obviously won't be reading the entirety of Shakespeare... but I do get to read all of Clarissa and Tom Jones. I'm hoping to start Clarissa over Christmas break, but I have another book waiting ever so patiently for me that I just have to read first ;)
The last 6 are all for English Honors. I'm a little nervous because this will be my first real encounter with either Virginia Woolf or D. H. Lawrence =/ Pray for me. I guess I should voice my thanks that we are not reading Mrs. Dalloway. I intend to cross that bridge when I come to it... and not a minute sooner. Also, the little I've read of Katherine Mansfield hasn't exactly thrilled me... but that was a long time ago and I'm willing to re-evaluate. But Atonement--ahhh!--now there is something to excited about! The class on a whole is focused around time and memory and how fiction treats history. Specifically, we're focusing on WWI (hence Atonement, etc.). Over the last few months, I have developed such a deep respect for that time in history and for the people affected by it. Between seeing WWI memorials in England and being gripped by an English tv show set in that era, I have fallen in love with WWI--especially in England, but back at home as well. Because of that respect, I am very much looking forward to Friday and getting to celebrate Armistice (Veteran's) Day. I'm so grateful to all who lived through such trying times... and I'm so grateful I'll get to read about them in the near future =)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What a list! I'm reading Atonement right now and loving it. Let me know what you think of Clarissa. I've wanted to avoid her, but if you find yourself enjoying it I may be persuaded to give her a chance.

    Excited for you, Samara!
    :)

    ReplyDelete