Sunday, November 13, 2011

"Jane! you think me, I daresay, an irreligious dog; but my heart swells with gratitude to the beneficent God of this earth just now. He sees not as man sees, but far clearer: judges not as man judges, but far more wisely. I did wrong: I would have sullied my innocent flower--breathed guilt on its purity: the Omnipotent snatched it from me...His chastisements are mighty; and one smote me which has humbled me for ever...
"Of late, Jane--only--only of late--I began to see and acknowledge the hand of God in my doom. I began to experience remorse, repentance; the wish for reconcilement to my Maker... I thank my Maker  that in the midst of judgement He has remembered mercy, I humbly entreat my Redeemer to give me strength to lead henceforth a purer life than I have done hitherto."
- Edward Fairfax Rochester


No comments:

Post a Comment