Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Wow! I'm so blessed that so many of my friends have expressed interest in The History of Love. Honestly, sharing art and watching people enjoy what I am passionate about--I think that is my love language! Sometimes I almost pity my husband in advance:

"Honeeey, would you read Jane Austen?"
"Hon, can I read this amaaaazing passage to you?"
"Babe! We have to watch this film!!"

Ok, ok. I promise I won't be terribly nagging... especially about the Austen novels and girlie movies.

All that being said... I'm thrilled that other people are looking into this novel. I do feel like I owe you a disclaimer, however. I've shared what I've found beautiful and moving. But, just so you know, the book is not filled entirely with loveliness and Keats-quotations. There is death and separation and sadness. There is the eccentric Leopold Gursky who--though in his 80's--would pose as a nude model for an art class because, in his words, "All I want is not to die on a day when I went unseen." There is the lonely, but eager Alma Singer whose kisses never work out like quite she plans. There is her mother, Charlotte, who Alma just wants to be "not sad" after her father died:
My mother never fell out of love with my father. She's kept her love for him as alive as the summer they first met. In order to do this, she's turned life away. Sometimes she subsits for days on water and air. Being the only known complex life-form to do this, she should have a species named after her... She chose my father, and to hold on to a certain feeling, she sacrificed the world.
I just wanted to give a more rounded representation of The History of Love. I don't mean to deter any of you. To be quite honest, I think I am just in love with the many lonely and akward moments as I am with the beautiful. And in the midst of both, I found the tought process of an author and one of th most sentimentally striking passage that I've read documenting the treck of one small book across continents. [I'm having to restrain myself from posting the whole glorious passage up here. But I don't want to ruin it for you... but let me know when you've read it ;]

I think the history of love is all of these things, but also so much more. The thing this History is largely lacking is the One who makes "life a thing of beauty and a joy forever." There are so many people searching for a love, for a word they can't seem to define. I wanted to jump into the narrative, take characters by the hand, and tell them, "He's the One who has 'words for everything.'"

1 comment:

  1. here's a funny story: years before John & I were a "thing," a bunch of us went to see Emma. John was sitting next to me and slept through the whole thing! I didn't know him well enough at the time to say anything then, but I've teased him a lot since. That was an expensive nap! AND I still married him. :) He's offered to watch it with me again... but I know he'll fall asleep again.

    ReplyDelete