Thursday, December 8, 2011

So today was kind of sad for me... Today we had the last day of our current honors "cohort" (literally, the call us a cohort. it makes me feel... mischievous :)
I just wanted to share a few highlights (funny/thought-provoking/etc.) from class:

  • Libby sharing a presentation on "Time-Shifty Novels" - favorite new academic term!
  • Greta complaining about The Blindside and The Help as stories of "White people helping Black people portrayed as not being able to do things for themselves." Still mulling that over.
  • Mr. Tyler Britton, J. Crew dandy, telling me after a discussion of The Road that during class he had been profiling classmates to determine who--in a post-apocalyptic world--would become cannibals. But don't worry, he informed that I would not be a cannibal. So relieving to here.
  • Alex's response to the professor's question: "What kept you turning the pages in The Gangster We're All Looking For?" Alex [speaking for the class]: "It was assigned."
  • David and Alex pulling up my blog one day during break and exclaiming, "Samara, are you engaged?!?" Wow.
  • Nicole's "I'm for the empowerment of everybody" comment.
  • Caitlyn describing History of Love as "beautifully sad." Perfect description.
  • Wading through Faulkner together. I feel as though we all carry battle scars now.
Those are just a few. This quarter was fantastic and it's been such a different experience to be in a smaller more relational class. I've appreciated it so much. I'm so glad that so many of us are in Kaplan's class next quarter. It'll be grand. But for one and all, thank you for such a fabulous quarter.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so relieved that you wouldn't be a cannibal. Whew. Why did they think you're engaged?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I had a comment about feeling sorry for "my husband" in advance. That and "the rock" on my finger ;)

    ReplyDelete