Monday, December 26, 2011

Every family has their quirks...

Well, having an enthusiastic father and sandwiched between two brothers, one quirk I've grown to appreciate is that we are a sports-fan family. My dad is a track/cross-country star (which I'm quick to tell anyone who cares =), but he's always been a huge admirer of the big three--football, basketball, and baseball. Therefore, our family cares about sports. Even if you don't think you care, my dad's fiery passion will convince you otherwise. He can tell you not only who won, but who played on the winning team of the 1964 World Series. He's lost his voice during countless football games (live or otherwise) having a heated, one-way conversation with the ref. He introduced us to great sports films like The Pride of the Yankees and Hoosiers and I watched him get emotional in Cooperstown. He pretty much amazes me.
But like I said, the whole family gets swept up into this. Now, I imagine that plenty of families and work places get involved with picks for the NCAA tournament. But have you had to guess every April how many wins the Mariner's would have or how many hits Ichiro would get in a season? 
Well, December is "College Bowl Month" in our house and everyone--including my unsuspecting brother-in-law--has to pick a winner for the 35 bowl games. It's a big deal, especially as the month progresses. I mean, there's a $5 Starbucks gift-card on the line. I usually don't fair too well and I can't even remember the last time I won the gift-card =/
But this year, I have a secret advantage. You see... most years, I guess blindly, or, at best, for colleges where I have friends attending. This year, I worked every Saturday afternoon when the games were being played. But--I just happen to work right in front of a TV =)
I caught more college football games than the rest of my family put together. And, thanks to my dad, I can't just watch a game. No matter who's playing, secretly or spoken, I have to pick a team to root for. So this year, guess who is actually educated about the football teams?


And guess who, after 8 bowl games, is the only one to still have a perfect record?

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment