Thursday, December 15, 2011

As many of you know, this is the book I'm currently reading. I highly recommend it!


It's just so funny because--other than the fact the author did not grow up in a Christian home--this girl is SO me!
She loves literature. Her memoir is riddled with incredible literary allusions, profound poetry, and U2 lyrics. Haha. She's cute and clumsy. She's a fellow logophile. And, while an incredible over-achiever, she still cares about fashion =)
And--most important--she lived my dream. She studied for her Masters at Oxford, with a focus on English Lit from 1780-1850. She was pursued by the most amazing man. She's taught at some incredible universities and she's a mom.
I feel like I'm reading about myself, or about how my life may be.
In fact, I'm beginning to think that this book was written just for me.

Right before going to Oxford, a friend from our sister church recommended this.
Then, in October, my uncle sent our family an email with the subject: "A book Samara would enjoy." haha... starting to get the picture.
I, of course, now own the book and am half way through.
But today was the real kicker.
Today my dad visited our dentist, who I saw just a few weeks ago.
He is an amazing dentist (seriously, I never dreaded going to the dentist growing up).
He's also a Christian and we've been seeing him for as long as I can remember.
Over one of those awkward conversations while some tool is stuck in your mouth, I was able to communicate that this summer I traveled to Oxford to study Jane Austen.
He informed me that he's visited Oxford and loved it and that he is also a huge fan of Jane Austen.
Well, that was three weeks ago. Today when my dad was there, Dr. Bemis told him, "Hey, I was reading Christianity today and there was a book highlighted there that just screamed 'Samara.' So I bought it for her. It's called Surprised by Oxford. When it comes in, I'll just call her so she can come pick it up..."
Oh wow! I mean, whose dentist buys them books?? Haha.
All of this had added up to a wonderful little *hint* from the Lord =) I love it!

Needless to say, I will now have a lending copy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That's incredible. Seriously the best dentist in the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such a great story! and I'm pleased I got to be a part of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete