Friday, February 10, 2012

So, every since coming across this cover, I have been listening to "Moon River."
I love it!

Two drifters... off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see...

I mean, so beautiful!

Well, today, my anglophile/bibliophile/Audreyphile [yah, I just made that last one up] friend, Lois, sent me this fabulous note.
It's a note Audrey sent to composer Henry Mancini after Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Mancini went on to win the Oscar that year in the "Best Original Song" category for "Moon River." 
But I think Audrey's "thank you" note does his incredible work its best justice:

Dear Henry,
I have just seen our picture – BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S – this time with your score.  
A movie without music is a little bit like an aeroplane without fuel. However beautifully the job is done, we are still on the ground and in a world of reality. Your music has lifted us all up and sent us soaring. Everything we cannot say with words or show with action you have expressed for us. You have done this with so much imagination, fun and beauty. 
You are the hippest of cats – and the most sensitive of composers!  
Thank you, dear Hank.  
Lots of love 
Audrey

Isn't that just the sweetest?
Here's to Audrey, "Moon River," and film scores <3

2 comments: